How To Get a Job in The USA (Hiring Guide)

How To Get a Job in The USA
Share This Post

If you’re looking for a guide on how to get a job in the USA, you’ve come to the right place. Even if you’re not a citizen of the United States, there are still plenty of ways to make your dream career a reality, but you need to know where to start.

If you want to get hired in the U.S., you should consider taking advantage of the diversity of available opportunities. There are plenty of jobs for everyone, regardless of their background.

To land a job in America, you must show employers that you possess certain qualities.

In this post, we’ll outline some helpful tips and tricks for landing your dream job in America, regardless of your background. So read on and get started today!

Land More Interviews With A Professional Resume

Get a professional resume review from a certified career expert

Employment law guide

The Employment Law Guide tells employers how to follow federal laws about wages, hours, overtime pay, child labor, discrimination, and protections against retaliation.

Employers must give their workers benefits like paid time off, sick days, holidays, health insurance, pensions, and opportunities to learn new skills.

Federal law also requires employers to maintain records about employees’ work hours and wages. Employers must also make sure that kids don’t do anything dangerous while they’re on the job.

Finally, employers must protect themselves against liability for workplace injuries and illness.

Work Authorization for Non-U.S. Citizens

The immigration process begins with obtaining work authorization for temporary foreign workers. This includes seasonal agricultural workers (H-2A visas) and non-agricultural workers (H-2B visas).

There are different requirements for each type of visa. A worker must meet certain criteria, such as having a valid passport and being able to speak English.

Federal contracts: Working conditions

The federal government spends billions of dollars every year on contracts. To ensure those funds are spent wisely, Congress passed laws to ensure workers receive fair wages, safe working conditions, and protection against discrimination. These laws apply to all contractors working under a federal contract, regardless of whether the contractor is small or large. They include:

• The Walsh-Healey Public Contracts Act

• The McNamara-O’Hara Service Contract Act

• The Davis-Bacon Act

• The Contract Work Hours and Safety Standards Act

• The Copeland Anti-Kickback Act

Application process

Students who want to work can start the application process by filling out Form I-9, “Employment Eligibility Verification.”

Students must fill out Form DS-160, “Request for Advance Parole/Change of Approval,” and send it in with Form I-765, “Application for Employment Authorization.”

Students are encouraged to apply for advance parole while still enrolled at the school where they plan to work.

Once USCIS issues the approval notice, students will receive an email containing instructions on obtaining the necessary documents to file Form I-797C, the Change of Status form.

Work permit duration and work hours

An F-1 student must await approval from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before engaging in off-campus work. This includes employment opportunities outside of the university classroom environment.

Students are permitted to work up to 20 hours each week during the fall and spring semesters and up to 30 hours each week during summer sessions. There are no restrictions on the number of hours worked during breaks between semesters.

As stated in Section 2.4.3 of the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), “The term ‘period of authorized activity’ refers to the period of time during which a student is enrolled in academic status.”

So, students are allowed to work during breaks between semesters when they are not in school. It is important to note, though, that they must stay enrolled in school while they work.

SEVP benefits will end for a student if they don’t go back to school within 14 days after their period of authorized activity is over.

See 8 CFR 214.2(f)(9)(ii).

Obtaining a U.S. Work Visa

If you want to live and work legally in the United States, you’ll need to apply for a work visa. If you’re applying for an H1-B visa, you must know what work authorization you require.

You must obtain a visa from either the U.S. embassy or consulate nearest to where you reside outside of the U.S. or the U.S. consulate in the country closest to your place of residence abroad.

Several types of work visas are available depending on whether you plan to enter the U.S. temporarily, seasonally, or permanently.

Temporary Visas

Temporary visas allow you to come into the U.S. for a specific period.

Seasonal Workers

Seasonal workers are allowed to enter the U. S. for a limited time each year.

How to obtain a United States green card

The annual green card lottery program provides opportunities for individuals to apply for one of the approximately 55,000 diversity visas offered annually. In addition, the government provides several employment preferences to help employers recruit skilled workers.

You must meet certain requirements to qualify for a visa under the H1-B category. You must either be a graduate student or a postdoctoral researcher working toward a doctorate.

You must also have a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university and have finished a specialized course of study related to your field of expertise.

If you do not meet those qualifications, you might want to consider applying for a different type of visa. For example, the EB-2 category allows people who already have a job offer to immigrate to the U.S. In contrast. The EB-3 category permits people sponsored by a current employer to enter the U.S.

Obtaining a U.S. Work permit

You’ll need a permit to work legally in the U.S., officially known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). This document proves your eligibility to work in the United States if you are not a citizen or a legal permanent resident.

An EAD will be necessary in addition to the work visa required for entry into the U.S. In some cases, employers may ask candidates to provide evidence of their ability to pay taxes without deductions.

The process varies depending on the type of job. For example, certain jobs require a labor certification while others don’t. If you want to work for a large corporation, it might take up to six months to obtain a work permit.

Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and supporting documents are needed to apply for a work permit.

Most of the time, applicants must submit fingerprints and photos, meet with USCIS officials, and go through background checks.

Once approved, the employer will issue the applicant an EAD card.

After getting the EAD, the person must show it to U.S. immigration officials when they come to the country.

The application fee depends on the category of employment authorization.

The content of a federal resume

If you are applying for a position within the federal government, it is important to understand what information needs to be included in your resume.

You do not want to miss out on opportunities because you did not follow the proper format. In addition, you do not want to make yourself look like a liar. Here are some tips to help you write a strong resume.

  • Include your contact information.
  • Use bullets.
  • Put your most recent job first.
  • List your education in reverse chronological order.
  • Add a summary section.
  • Do not use text boxes unless necessary.

Land More Interviews With A Professional Resume

Get a professional resume review from a certified career expert

Include important contact information

Most job opportunities require this information: address, email, phone number, etc. If you don’t include it, you might miss out on getting hired. But what do you put down?

A lot of people write down their home addresses. And while that’s fine if you live alone, it doesn’t work well if you have roommates or family members. So how do you list yourself properly? Here are some tips:

  • Include your full name, including your middle initial.
  • Include your complete mailing address, including city, state, zip code, and street address. You don’t want to confuse employers by listing your residence as being somewhere else.
  • Include your telephone number. This includes both landline and cell numbers, even though most companies won’t call you on your cell phone anymore.
  • Include your email address. Be sure to use the correct spelling and format. For example, use rather than
  • Include your social media profiles. These days, many companies ask applicants about their social media presence. Ensure you include everything that applies to you: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.
  • Remember to always check with your references. They know you better than anyone else and will tell you whether you listed things correctly.

Number your accomplishments

Include numbers, percentages, or dollars in your resume to show your achievements. This includes saving money, earning money, or managing money.

For example, include the number of hours worked per week, the amount of money made, or the percentage of employees hired.

In addition, explain what you did to save, earn, or manage money. You don’t want to list out every accomplishment without context. Instead, use numbers to show how you’ve improved your skills over time.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is getting a job in the USA easy?

Since so many people are looking for a job in the United States, the rules have become much stricter regarding who can enter and what reasons they must provide. Here are the main difficulties U.S. aspirants encounter while trying to get a job in the U.S.

  • You might not know what skills employers look for.
  • Your resume might not show up in the system.
  • You might not have enough work history.
  • And finally, your education might not be recognized by American companies.

What is your chance of getting a job in the USA?

The best way to find a job is to apply directly to the employer. There are many reasons why this method works better than working with recruiters.

First of all, there is no middleman involved. If you’re lucky enough to land a good recruiter, you’ll probably end up wasting most of your energy trying to convince them to represent you.

And even if you make a deal, chances are high that the recruiter won’t do everything necessary to help you get hired.

In addition, applying directly to the company ensures you don’t waste time searching for jobs that aren’t suitable for you. For instance, if you want to work in marketing, you shouldn’t waste your time applying for positions in sales.

Another advantage of applying directly to companies is that it gives you much more control over your future. When you go to a recruitment agency, you usually give away some of your power. They decide how much money you’ll receive, how long you’ll wait for a reply, etc.

How can I change careers in the US?

If you are tired of what you are doing right now, a job change could be the thing you need to make it better. However, you must figure out how you want to go about it. This is important because it helps you keep your motivation up while working towards your desired end goal.

You must know your priorities and set goals accordingly. Then, you need to think about your strengths and weaknesses. These factors determine whether you can do well in your current field or not.

Next, you need to examine your skills and abilities. Make sure that you are capable of performing your duties properly. If you don’t know where to start, ask people around you. You can even look online for advice.

Finally, you need to consider your interests and hobbies. When you find something that you like doing, you will feel more motivated to pursue it. Also, you will enjoy it more, making it easier to stick to your plans.


So, you want to work in the USA? Finding a job in the United States can be hard, whether you are a recent graduate or a professional with years of experience.

How do you make your resume stand out with thousands of jobs posted online every day? How do you network with potential employers? And what are the best ways to overcome common obstacles during the job search process?

Our team at Lancerbee can help. We offer career coaching and resume services to help motivated individuals reach their career goals.

Contact us today for more information on how we can help you land your dream job in the Land of Opportunity.

Is Your Resume Working?

Get a professional resume review from a certified career expert

Is your resume getting ignored?

Land more interviews and get hired faster with a professional resume written by career experts.


Resume + Cover Letter

$ 199
  • Professionally written resume - By experts that know your industry
  • Formatted for success - Formatting that will get an employer's attention.
  • Keyword optimized - Your resume will be optimized to pass through Applicant Tracking Systems.
  • Collaborate with writer - Work directly with your resume writer for a personalized experience
  • Cover Letter - Employers are 40% more likely to read a resume with a cover letter.

Contact Us

Contact us if you have any questions

Monday - Friday, (9am - 5pm EST)


Priority Support


(786) 474 - 6976